Believe it or not, we’re heading into another Christmas season. Many of you have plans in full-swing for how your ministry will celebrate, but if you’re still wondering what you can do to bring the family together this season, look no further than the 252FX tab on the download matrix.
At this time of year, parents are already looking for a way to get their family together for a Christmas event that helps them build traditions and pass on faith.
Use the December monthly FX as a starting point, create a Christmas FX event that brings parents and kids together to celebrate the real reason for Christmas. Not to mention, a great way for families to invite their neighbors to a fun event at the church!
Create a fun afternoon or evening event that kicks off with staging the FX. Keep the FX around 45 minutes.
From the FX, dismiss the audience to a Christmas open house filled with family photo booths, crafts, games and snacks. You may even be able to have a petting zoo or pony rides. The sky’s the limit for how you can make Christmas come alive for the families in your community.
Keep a few of these thoughts in mind:
- This is a great way to enlist students to help. They can act in your FX, run craft rooms, hand out snacks, or greet people as they come into your building. Partner with your church’s student ministry team and make a service project out it. You may even find that some of your best volunteers for Sunday were there the whole time!
- If you decide to have craft rooms, choose projects that are fairly simple and can be done in 15 minutes or less and require little drying time. Families should be able to take their craft home that day. Also, you may want to offer a preschool craft for families with little ones.
- Make snack time interactive. Decorate cookies or make mini-gingerbread houses. Give families an excuse to play with their food. It is Christmas after all! Also, if you know of families with severe allergies, give them a heads up; they may be able to come prepared so their family can participate in the snack station as well.
- Have music playing throughout the church while people are walking around from station to station. It keeps the energy moving. You can also use this as an opportunity to highlight musicians in your church. Enlist “street performers” throughout the church to play Christmas carols. Get the whole church involved.
- If you are partnering with H2Go or any other service project this Christmas, set up a station to raise awareness about what you’re doing. You may also want to include a food or clothing drive for local ministries your church supports. Give families a chance to serve together.
That’s just scratching the surface of how you can make Christmas memorable for families. Get a few people together or hop on Pinterest, and I’m sure the ideas will start coming.
How do you celebrate Christmas with families in your church? Share your ideas! We’d love to hear how you make home and church collide at this time of year!