We have several people live tweeting and taking notes during Orange conference. Follow along with the hashtag #OC15.
Here are the tweets/notes that came out of Cass Brannan’s breakout “Before and After Baby Dedication.”
Baby dedication: It’s not a checklist, its’ about the moms and dads.
- Why do we even do it?
- Answer this in the pre-meeting and homework.
- Watch the videos:
- Imagine the end: We say “add 5 characteristics that you want to see in your child.”
- Widen the circle: Your children need more influences in their life than just mom and dad. Invite those people into that event to invest in this strategy.
- It’s a partnership. Explain to parents why we do what we do.
- We don’t do childcare we do ministry for the littlest hearts.
During Baby D
- The event itself is to:
- Encourage parents
- Clarify the win
- Get your volunteers onboard with this. Especially your baby and crawler volunteers. What if they understood there’s a strategy? Your volunteers are the ones who will make your moms and dads feel included. You volunteers play a huge role in the strategy of baby dedication and they don’t even know it. But the words that they speak will go a long with with the moms and dads.
- A year later, give them a card from someone, a dvd to encourage them, or 52 marbles. Realize those 52 weeks went by really really quickly. The biggest place we fail in this is that the parents feel forgotten.
- We say we will partner with parents but week after week we don’t see it.
- Communicating with parents can’t stop with preschool.
- If we don’t consistently communicate with the parents, we might has well not done it.
Its about giving our time to something bigger than us.
The Create A Rhythm event is a great reminder for parents to use the time they all ready have.
- What if we give parents those simple tools and that simple event.
- Give them the stuff to actually do it.
- We make a box with something for each “time”.
- Cup – BathTime
- Ball – PlayTime
- CD – DriveTime (If you want to have a great conversation with your child, don’t look in their eyes.)
- Flashlight – CuddleTime
We aren’t satisfied with just an event, we want everything in the rhythm of your day to point to Jesus.
Check out additional posts in the “Inside #OC15” series on the blog!