We have several people live tweeting and taking notes during Orange conference. Follow along with the hashtag #OC15.
Here are the tweets that came out of Sue Miller and Adam Duckworth’s breakout “Seven Quirks of Incredible Volunteers.”
Quirk #1: Start Somewhere.
- 80% of people just don’t know where to start.
- Most people are so overwhelmed with the need that they never start.
- As leaders encourage them to start somewhere!
- Encourage people to try something they LIKE and to start over if they’ve been BURNED!
Quirk #2: Small is Big
- The smallest things we do have the biggest results.
- Small things bring about not normal results.
- Speaking encouraging words, sending birthday cards, etc.
Quirk #3: Own Don’t Rent
- “If you want to be a not normal volunteer you need to be an owner not a renter.”
- Owners invest more for a bigger return.
Quirk #4: You, Me & We
- This is not about ME. This is not about YOU. It’s about how WE do this together!
- It is about looking side to side to see what is going on around you – rather than focusing on yourself.
Quirk #5: Honor The Leader
- Embrace Your Leaders Vision – It will drain volunteers to be part of a vision that they do not support.
- Sometimes the best thing a volunteer can do is to amicably move on if they are in conflict with their leaders over vision.
- “Your leader needs a cheerleader, not a drama queen.”
Quirk #6: Replace Yourself
- Let go of what you want. Let go of your current role. And, let go of controlling your future.
Quirk #7: You Can’t Always See It
- Volunteers can’t always see the impact they are making.
- Remind your volunteers often that even if they can’t always see it – they are making a difference.
Check out additional posts in the “Inside #OC15” series on the blog!